Animals and Animal Welfare
Officers from Environmental Health inspect premises every year to ensure that they comply with licence conditions. Premises are also subject to additional checks to ensure standards are maintained.
The standards relate to structure, safety, security, infectious disease control, and the suitability of the licence holder. The aim is to:
- ensure minimum standards of welfare for animals
- prevent the spread of disease and
- ensure the safety of the public visiting these premises.
Periodic inspections are carried out to confirm standards are maintained, and in response to complaints.
Our advice to anyone using these premises is always:
- check they are licensed, and ask to see the current licence
- inspect the premises prior to leaving your pet, buying an animal, or taking a riding lesson
- ensure that riding schools have current public liability insurance
Licences and Registration
The Council is responsible for issuing and enforcing a wide range of licences, permits and registrations. Environmental Health process and enforce the following types of licences. Please see our Fees and Charges before filling the application forms in.
If you perform any of the following services:
- cosmetic piercing
- semi-permanent skin colouring
You and your premises need to be registered with the Council.
For an application form for a Zoo Licence, please email Environmentalhealth@carlisle.gov.uk or Telephone: 01228 817559.