If you rent from a local authority, a registered housing association or other registered social landlord the amount of Housing Benefit you get will be based on the number of bedrooms your household needs.
The rules allow one bedroom for:
- Every adult couple (married or unmarried)
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any two children aged under 10
- Any other child
- A non-resident carer.
If you are classed as having one or more extra bedrooms your Housing Benefit may be reduced. If you are under-occupying there will be a reduction in your Housing Benefit of:
- 14% for under-occupancy by one bedroom (approximately £13 per week)
- 25% for under-occupancy by two bedrooms or more (approximately £23 per week).