You are Here : Residents  >  Environmental Problems  >  Vehicle Nuisance
Sunday , April , 30 2017

Vehicle Nuisance

Abandoned vehicles

We have a duty to investigate, remove and dispose of any motor vehicle that has been abandoned on "land, which is open to the air".

We consider a vehicle to be abandoned when it meets some or all of the following:

  • It appears to be damaged or un-roadworthy;
  • It isn't showing a valid tax disc;
  • It has not moved for a long time;
  • It has flat tyres or missing wheels;
  • There is waste inside or outside the vehicle;
  • It is missing one or both of its registration plates;
  • The owner or keeper cannot be traced, or does not respond to a legal notice.

If you suspect a vehicle has been abandoned you can report it to us by using the online form below or by telephone on 01228 817200

It would help if you could tell us:

  1. Your name, address and a contact telephone number
  2. The vehicle registration number
  3. The make, model and colour of the vehicle
  4. Where it has been abandoned.

Untaxed vehicles

If you see a vehicle on the public road with an out-of-date tax disc, you can report it anonymously to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) who will investigate it.

Vehicles for sale

It is an offence to trade from the roadside. If you are aware of a vehicle that is being offered for sale on the highway you can report it to us on 01228 817200.

Where possible, please tell us

  • The vehicle registration number;
  • Make, model and colour;
  • The location of the vehicle;
  • Details of the seller.

Vehicle Obstructions

To report a vehicle that is obstructing a road, pavement or back lane please contact Cumbria Constabulary or dial 101, the police non-emergency number.

Free vehicle disposal Service

We offer a free vehicle removal and disposal service for residents who no longer want their vehicle.

You can take your vehicle with the registration document and proof of residency directly to Michael Douglas Auto Salvage, Stainton Road, Etterby, Carlisle, CA3 9QU

Or you can call us on 01228 817200 and we will arrange to collect the vehicle from your address at no extra charge (Carlisle District only).

Abandoned Vehicles Report Form

This A to Z of services list provides links to service pages alphabetically